SV: SV: [AMPS] Final..

measures measures@vcnet.com
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 18:13:54 -0700

>Rich I understand you should take another glance into your old ARRL SINGLE
>SIDEBAND handbooks and learn a little more on the 3/2 law by Child and
>Langmuir . One good article is W6SAIs "Intermodulation distorsion in Vacuum
>Tubes".
>
>You say: "The good news is now you probably know that grid-current in
>grid-driven
>config. produces distortion". My good news are: it is  true unless you swamp
>your input with a low impedance load. Up to the point the grid starts to
>draw grid current in an AB1 stage

€  grid current is not allowed in AB1.

> very little power is drawn from your
>driver. But as soon as there is grid current your driver has to deliver
>power, of course.

The tube consumes  virtually no driving power in Class AB1 because
grid-current does not flow at any time during the cycle.  .

>If your drivers regulation is poor to this varying load,

>  There is no varying load.  The load is the grid-terminating R, which is
fixed.  .
>you get flat topping unless you use a swamping resistor across the varying
>grid load. According to Warren Bruene W0TTK, in  another article in this
>ARRL SSB handbook, your swamping resistor should absorb 10 times the power
>the grid consumes.

I do not agree.  In AB1, the grid looks like a capacitor.

>He talks about some other ways to solve the problem but
>personally I consider the ACOM solution to use a 50 ohm dummy load at the
>input a better one. This old EIMAC idea from 1957 and another one from an
>old application note on the 4CX600, is an excellent way to get good
>linearity and stability. The 4CX600 used undecoupled cathode resistors to
>develope negative feedback and better linearity. As a side effect ACOM got a
>much simpler input circuitry as well.

There is no way to have a good input match on 20m - 10m without tuning
out the grid reactance with a roller inductor and Bruene neutralization
bridge.

>So, Rich show your teeth and take another dive into the physics of the
>electron flow of in vacuum tubes and return for a moment to the childhood of
>Ham SSB in these old ARRL SSB handbooks.

cheers, Hans