[AMPS] The Dreaded DAF Buck Shot Machine???

Steve Cook scook@azstarnet.com
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 20:53:17 -0700

Rich,

Is all the brew-ha-ha about the "Dreaded DAF Buck Shot Machine"... the one
like Norm (EDD) use to chew us up with on 40 meters.  Man, those are about
the nastiest sounding rigs I have ever been subjected to.

Norm use to swear that his signal was clean as a whistle and, as he use to
say over and over, "very smooooooth"... remember?

It must have taken all of us about 3 years to get him to clean up his act...
he had to rework the blasted thing as I recall... put in a fixed screen
supply if memory serves me correct.  What a difference that made.  He was
sure hard to convince though... nothing anyone could say mattered.  Poor
Norm.

He kind of made a spectacle of himself... all that self denial and all.

The same with W6CHR in Riverside... he use to run the same thing... the DAF
fuzz box.  Actually, he had two of them.  One was a pair of 4-64A's... when
he keyed the mike and drew idling plate current, the plates of those poor
4-65's would literally glow incandescent.  He could get 1KW out of a pair...
honest!

CHR also had a pair of 4-1000A's in the DAF fuzz box configuration... Could
hear him all up and down 80 meters.  Remember the evening we were on 3.820
and went up about 250 kHz to find him... what a god awful mess his signal
was.  He use to take serious pride in saying his call TEXAS style...
W6CHRRRR, "Clear Channel Radio"... he was clear channel all right..

I don't know about the technical aspects of DAF; however, every one I ever
had to share the band with was very bad news!

-SC