[AMPS] Super Tuner Price

Fisher fisher@pldi.net
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 16:00:30 -0000

Hi Alek VK6APK -

Don't know how "Down Under" prices compare to those in US - but here goes
anyway.

Am not exactly sure which tuner you are considering.  I have a Dentron
"Monitor Tuner" which has stamped on the chassis: 160 - 10 AT 3KW.  It has a
power meter on the front which may be switched to indicate up to 200W fwd,
2000W fwd, or 200W reflected.  It is very large (8 1/2 x 13 x 16) and has
handled a pair of 4-400's for several years - including some time spent
contesting.

I also have a Dentron "Super Tuner."  On the back it has stamped into the
chassis(again, no sticker), 160-10AT 1KW.  It is about 5 x 10 x 10 and has
no meter.

I suspect that the one you are considering could be about the same as the
Monitor Tuner but without the meter.

The following site lists an approximate value for the 160-10AT (no pwr
rating indicated) at $125.00 and the 160-10AT 1KW at $110.00:

        http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hall/8701/ham/boneyard.htm

$125.00 sounds reasonable to me for the 3kw model - maybe even less if it
doesn't have any metering.  I paid $75.00 for mine but the ceramic
feedthrough insulators on the back had been replaced with SO-239's and the
balun was missing (the previous owner had converted it to coax feed only
with necessary modifications to the wiring.  I was able to fix it back with
insulators from Fair Radio Sales and a balun from another brand 3kw tuner.

I think the $110.00 is a little steep for the 1kw model.  I bought mine,
used and in good condition, from Oklahoma Comm Center for $75.00.

73 from Oklahoma,  Lu K5YP