[AMPS] Advice and/or opinions wanted...

Charlie Ocker charlie.ocker@tellabs.com
Wed, 05 Jan 2000 13:22:35 -0600

Greetings,

I'm a new subscriber to this reflector, but have been an occasional
reader of the digests.  I'm also a relatively new amplifier owner,
finally getting a used SB-220 a couple of years ago.  I am, however, a
long time amp user, courtesy of contests stations that I have
frequented.

Over the course of my amateur career, I have, like many of you,
accumlated some parts and goodies in my junk box.  I am at the point of
seriously considering 'rolling my own' mf/hf amplifier.

I come seeking some advice and/or opinions on this subject.  Here is
what I have:

	* Five 4-PR400A's	(pulse rated 4-400A)
	* Two sockets
	* Filament xfmr
	* A couple of big breadslicer air variables
	* Chassis, etc.

The power supply and rest are not a problem.  Plenty of ideas from ARRL
Handbook.

My requirements are:

	* 160 to 10 meter coverage
	* As much power out as possible from either 2 or 3 of the tubes
	* Stable operation

I operate 99.9% cw.  I am considering a Class C only machine for
efficiency.  I have examples in the common amateur literature of using a
pair of 4-400a's in gg, but they are not Class C.

Can anyone enlighten me on the perils of building and operating a grid
driven Class C mf/hf amplifier?

What are the benefits, besides efficiency?

I'm familiar with the "tune for max smoke" approach with the gg amps.
Does this approach apply with
Class C amps, or is the old "dip and tune" approach used?

Any and all input greatly appreciated!

Vy 73,

Charlie  N9CO