[AMPS] PEP philosophy/rules

measures measures@vcnet.com
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 10:28:02 -0700

>Hi All,
>
>If I may, I'd like to start a "philosophical" thread which arises from:
>i)  many of us home-brewing amps
>ii) tuning with a string of high-speed (i.e. high-speed
>    compared to the time constants of our meters) vs.
>    key-down, vs. whistling or saying "hoooooooola" into
>    the microphone.
>iii) our desire to remain legal.

€   FCC inspectors allow 10% for error, so the actual limit is 1650w.
However, I know of instances where the 1650w figure was slightly exceeded
without raising inspectors' eyebrows.  The bottom-line is that even
1db/26% makes virtually no difference on the air, so who really cares?
FCC inspectors are more likely to be after sources of interference than
gnats.  .