[AMPS] PEP philosophy

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 14:29:11 -0600

> However,  on SSB,  the Omni output power must be increased
> to about 80 watts,  read on the VFD,  voice peaks as indicated
> by the flashing ALC light,  to reach the same 400 watts
> out from the linear on voice peaks.  Unfortunately, the heavily
> damped Bird meter can never get the needle above about
> the 50 watt level during an SSB voice peak.

Bob Heil, "Mr. Audio" came down to our club a while back and made
some very good suggestions. I preempt this by stating it is a necessity
to be able to listen to yourself on the air (no, the built-in monitor on your
transceiver will do you no good) to do the following:
Keep your Omni power the same as it was on CW. Turn on your speech
processor and run your mike gain up to at least 10-12 o'clock or more
to let your processor have some audio to work with. Talk normally into
the mike as you are used to on the air, and adjust your processor/mike gain
to fill in the voids that your voice produces vs the sine-wave when on CW.
If you are lucky and get everything set just right, your meter will now peak
at the same value as it did on CW, and you will have clean audio. It is
tricky, but it can be done. Most folks don't know how to adjust their rigs
for proper operation with the processor on.  You need ample audio going
into it so it can do its thing with the complex voice waveform.

GL!
(((73)))
Phil, K5PC