[AMPS] RF Choke Forms (Epoxy)

Michael McCarthy, W1NR w1nr@eecorp.com
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 10:38:25 -0500

A related experience...

DON'T use epoxy to hold an RF choke in place.  In a
4-1000A linear, I used it to secure one to a ceramic
cone type standoff.  Put some inside the tube of the
form at the base to hold it to the standoff.  One
morning during a contest, I was awoken by a rather
loud BANG.  The inside of the amplifier compartment
was covered with melted epoxy and the RF choke was
just hanging on by the plate strap.  The epoxy had
melted from RF heating and exploded!  Amp was still
working and I went on with the contest.

Mike, W1NR

--
**************** Give Every Man His Dew **************