R: [AMPS] Watt meters and PEP

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 17:55:23 +0000

measures wrote:
>>>With a 50-ohm load, 387.3v-peak indicates 1500w PEP on the wattmeters the
>>>FCC uses.
>>
>>Yes, obviously. There is nothing wrong with that "v-pk" calculation.
>>
>>What I cannot believe is that the FCC make any use of the quantity that
>>you call "w-pk".
>>
>They don't call it that,

More to the point, they don't mention, consider or use your "w-pk" at
all.

>but this is essentially how one calibrates such
>a meter.  When one measures 387.3v-pk across a 50-ohm load with an
>NBS-traceable oscilloscope and multiplier-probe, the "PEP" meter is adj.
>to read 1500w.

It's one way to calibrate a power meter, but not a good one.

Guess how oscilloscopes are calibrated at RF? By measuring the voltage
across a line connected to a calibrated power meter! In other words, you
improve the error budget by calibrating one power meter directly from
another.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek