[AMPS] Re: Tank Coils

Arne Gjerning gjerning@flash.net
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 22:10:39 -0700

--------------0F22E276FBAAAFE7DD41D14B

Winding coils of 1 1/2 inch ID should be fairly easy. I use the 1/4 inch
tubing normally used to run water lines to swamp coolers as it is fairly
soft and is easy to work with (I Have several coils of this size in the
garage I have wound). If 1 1/2inch ID is critical use a mandrel smaller
to compensate for coil expansion after winding tension is removed
(experiment). The tubing might tend to flatten slightly but that will
not hurt if the tubing is not kinked.

I close wind my coils and then use a piece of wood and run it between
the turns to get a uniform spacing. This way I do not need to be careful
in the winding process to try and get spacing while winding. Another
method is to pull on both ends of the coil carefully keeping windings
aligned lengthwise.

Home Base, Home Depot, Costco are  places sure to have the coppor tubing
and I get it in a boxed quantity. The box helps protect the tubing from
shipping, storage and handling damaged until it gets to your home.

Hope this helps a bit.

73 de Arne N7KA

--------------0F22E276FBAAAFE7DD41D14B

ID should be fairly easy. I use the 1/4 inch tubing normally used to run
water lines to swamp coolers as it is fairly soft and is easy to work with
(I Have several coils of this size in the garage I have wound). If 1 1/2inch
ID is critical use a mandrel smaller to compensate for coil expansion after
winding tension is removed (experiment). The tubing might tend to flatten
then use a piece of wood and run it between the turns to get a uniform
spacing. This way I do not need to be careful in the winding process to
try and get spacing while winding. Another method is to pull on both ends
are&nbsp; places sure to have the coppor tubing and I get it in a boxed