SV: [AMPS] SB-220 conundrum

sm5ki sm5ki@algonet.se
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:44:48 +0000

Hello Pete:

I usually start my parasitics hunt with the old Millen grid dip meter and
the amp disconnected from the mains. You will be surprised how many odd
resonces there may be.

If you find a resonant frequency in the grid or cathode circuitry try to
rotate your C1. If there is a change in the dip you may have a tgtp
oscillator at that frequency.

Also I try to parasitic test my amplifiers with higher then normal resting
current. The small signal gain will be higher and any tendency for
parasitics will be increased.

I never tried this on a SB220 but could there be some new resonant
frequencies in the 3-500Z grid circuitry?  The paralell circuit of the
negative feedback condensers and grid chokes maybe are resonant somewhere?
And the plate choke maybe has the same resonant frequency?  Maybe you tried
earlier to run the amp on one of the  bands not avaible the SB 220 and one
of the grid chokes was hurt by a parasitic and changed its self resonant
frequency? If I remember right, the new bands where not avaible in 1968-69
when the SB 220 came out and the plate choke nay very well be resonant on
the newer bands?

Lets take an example how I fixed a Swedish copy of the old COLLINS 30L-1:
the amp was completely stable on all bands except on 80 meters. There the
811As quickly turned red when trying to tune up and many a tube quickly went
kaputt with broken anodes. They had on 80 meters connected an additional
capacitor section  to the input C1 pi variable cap and the inductance of the
connecting wire and C1 became a resonant circuit somewhere at 40 -50 MHz as
indicated on the grid dip meter. The same resonant frequency was found in
the bifilar filament choke. When rotating the C1 there was a change in the
filament choke resonant frequency as indicated on he grid dip meter. The fix
was simple: I moved the resonant frequency of the added cap section down by
inserting a small coil in series with the connecting wire.

Hope you fix your problem. 73s de Hans SM5KI