[AMPS] 4CX1000A amp project

Fisher fisher@pldi.net
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 05:59:31 -0000

Am wanting to build an amp based around a single 4CX1000A tube.  I have
almost everything needed to build such an amp including a chassis with a
blower that should create enough pressure to pass the .2 inch water of water
column test and a very nice new/old JAN 8168.

There are two things I don't have and need help with.  I would like to build
based on a proven (with respect to the 4cx1000) schematic and the simpler
the better.  Because of the zero watt maximum grid dissipation rating, the
"simple" part may be a tall order.  So, I need some advice with that.
Second, I don't have a socket.  Of course, there are two to choose from -
one with the 1500pf screen bypass capacitor built-in (megabucks) and one
without.  I'll take what I can get here - anyone know of one that I could
buy or trade for?  I don't yet know the significance of the built-in
capacitor (whether not having it will limit my choices of design).

To apply the KISS principle to this (my first ceramic tube and legal limit
project) I am thinking of a 160M monobander.  Then, if all fairs well, add
the other bands later.

I have scoured my sources and have found nothing specific for the 4CX1000
except the 30S-1 schematic which I would rather not try to apply.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Lu K5YP