[AMPS] comparison

measures measures@vcnet.com
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:24:50 -0700

>greetings.  this may be a little off the subject, but id like to hear some
>opinions on the tentec titan amps with the pair of 3cx800

The one I repaired had gold sputtering in both tubes.  (see September and
October 1990 issues of *QST*)

> vs the
>ameritron al1500 with the 8877.

This is the only manfactured 8877 amplifier that has no vhf parasitic
suppressor whatsoever.  I have spoken with owners who have had stability
problems that resulted in sudden tube failure.  It is not uncommon to
find AL-1500 owners who had two catastrophic tube failures during the
warranty period.  The designer of the 1500. blames all tube failures in
the AL-1500 on Eimac.

>.  am curious what the multitude thinks of
>these amps and if given a choice what they would buy. am asking because
>my 4k ultra does not cover 160m.

a doable modification.

later, Ty