[AMPS] LK500-ZB help

measures measures@vcnet.com
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:02:38 -0700

>Rich -
>
>I had (and still have) the wonderful opportunity to work on an Amp Supply
>LK500A. Just to forewarn you and to keep your hairs from getting any grayer
>the schematics and documentation is inadequate and fail to give the proper
>values and many times leave out other components entirely. My LK500A has
>many design deficiencies and I'm quite surprised that they even shipped out
>a piece of junk.

The worst problem is that the tank padders are not rated for RF.  OTOH,
the tuned inputs are good.

> No wonder they went out of business.

As I understand it, the owner, Mr Dennis Had was flagrante delicto on top
of his desk with his secretary when his wife walked in on 'em.  . .

>As a side note, Bill Edwards of Omega Electronics still services Amp Supply
>amplifiers His prices for parts are extremely expensive and I have talked
>to other hams that have spent more on parts than the amplifier is worth. I
>would recommend being creative using less expensive parts.
>
>I am basically posting this message to this group so it is documented in
>the archives. Before I purchased my LK500A for $300 I search the archives
>at contesting.com and found nothing about these amplifiers. Yeah, I got the
>amplifier working and I still have more work to do, but I'd rather would
>have spent my time on my other 8877 project.

The last LK-500 I worked on had Tune C arcing.  It needed lower Q
suppressors and the replacement of the copper buswire from the blocker
cap to the Tune-C with Ni-Cr-Fe wires.

cheers, Bill.