[AMPS] Proper Wire Size for "L" Tank Coil?

Radio WC6W wc6w@juno.com
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 13:59:42 EDT

On Sat, 15 Jul 2000 12:54:17 -0500 "Phil Clements" <philk5pc@tyler.net>
writes:
.
>Much has been written for the proper size conductor
>to be used in the construction of tank coils, but very little
>data is available for the proper construction of the "L" coil in=20
>a Pi-L network, other than its value.  Is there a source for
>this ?

  Since the Q is (typically) rather low compared to the PI application,
the circulating current is also reasonable, requiring just a small
increase in wire size.

>The torroid is very popular for this purpose, as it is more
>compact and self-shielding, allowing close-to -chassis mounting.
>Has anyone run any tests on the maximum power handling capability
>of such a coil?

  That depends mostly on the core and is easily calculated from the
numbers in a Micrometals (or Amidon) catalog.  If you need more power
capability you just stack cores.

>There is probably a formula for a simple "L" coil; given an image
>inductance of 300 ohms and 50 ohms output, but I have never seen
>it.

  Yes, there is  ...presuming you meant to type impedance immediately
above...

  I think you can find it in the Orr Handbook... and probably the older
ARRL books... don't know about the new ones.  :-)

  Q = Square Root (Rin/Rout -1)

  L = Rin / (Q * 2 * Pi * F)

>I guess my bottom-line question is: what would a 9.5 uh 20 amp rated
>"L" coil look like?

  Just guessing that this is for 160M... #10 wire should suffice, either
a section of Air-Dux or wound on a toroid.

73,
  Marv  WC6W

*

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!