[AMPS] 8873 retro in a Heathkit SB-230

nospam4me@juno.com nospam4me@juno.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:19:57 -0700

re: 8873 for Heathkit SB-230

Hi Dennis,

The 8873 is still available, but quite costly.  A very popular
tetrode with almost if not exact physical mounting is the
8560, often seen and pulled from commercial two-way
radio base station vhf final amplifiers. They can be found
cheap enough through surplus radio shops and flea
markets.

Building the screen, bias supplies and support circuits
might prove cumbersome for the casual ham.  I have
everything here to try one once the spare and installed
valve in my 230 go away.  I would hope for another 20
years or more of service. Ebay for a tube might be the
way to go.

Note that different Anode Material versions were made...
The Anode material was made from Plated Aluminum
or Copper in the two versions I have.  What ever Eimac
uses for tubes with handles might even be another
material.  Although the AL versions work, they weren't
to popular from what I've been told.  One of those cost
cutting measures that came back to haunt the mfgr(s).

cheers
skipp
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.