[AMPS] FCC certification - how do they do it?

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:44:28 -0400

Hi Charley,

No-where is a big place.

> No where in FCC Part 97 is anythong written than states it is illegal or
> imapprioprate for a manufacturer to provide technical information
> regarding the design, operation or modification to a third party.

97.317 c 3 says:

"Instructions for operation or modification of the amplifier ........in a
manner contrary to FCC rules."

Of course Part 2 and other areas of the rules clearly state that
manufacturers can not ship devices that do not comply with the
terms of type-acceptance when type-acceptance is required.

The FCC will not tolerate, and the people in enforcement have
made it clear they won't tolerate, manufacturers shipping amplifiers
that violate the terms of type-acceptance. Those terms prohibit
operation on ten meters.

I specifically know this because I asked the FCC for an opinion if
Ameritron could ship amplifiers to licensed amateur that included
ten meters. Bill Cross said no. Not under any circumstance.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com