[AMPS] FCC certification - how do they do it?

Tom Tishken KD4WOV(laptop) kd4wov@earthlink.net
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 00:07:27 -0400

they use those amplifier to "drive" the BIG amps, like Henry 10k or even
1200 watt ham or commercial amp. I believe that the 50 watt drive
requirement is a deterrent, but not a inhibiting problem for boot legers.
Remember if they will pay a couple thousand for an amp, they will pay $100
for an illegal palamar 4 watts in and 50 to 75 watts.

When I was doing 2 way radio repair, I made many people mad who had "export
only" radios, because I refused to work on radios that did not have a FCC id
plate on the radio (even hams who used them "legally" on ham radio). Holding
a commercial ticket I did not want to jeopardize my ticket for a few
bootleggers. Also I would not touch a "10 meter" amp.