[AMPS] FCC certification - how do they do it?

i4jmy@iol.it i4jmy@iol.it
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:33:12 +0200

The EMC(LWD included) are tests for CE marking of electrical devices.
Then, it has to be made a clear point if an object requires or not the
omologation to be operated.
If the omologation is required, then a specific procedure referred to
operational parameters (i.e. concerning also to what comes out from the
antenna socket) has to exist and have to be followed and also certified.
The core point for amateur radio is that an omologation procedure is
not applicable to a single amateur that builds his equipment, unless we
drop one of the basical point to justify the amateur radio service.
Stated it, concerning the commercial aspect of industrial products its
questionable and matter of different interpretations if an omologation
is required or not for amateur radio products.
I bet it will be.

73,
Mauri I4JMY

PS My knowdlege is limited to ETS 300-384 and related

kauai.net,  amps@contesting.com, "'i4jmy@iol.it'" <i4jmy@iol.it>
> Cc      :
> Date    : Thu, 27 Jul 2000 11:58:57 +0100
> Subject : RE: Re: [AMPS] FCC certification - how do they do it?
>

> Actually, Maurie, amateur radio manufacturers in Europe can self
certify
> transmitters under the EMC Directive, Article 10. They are the only
group who
> can self certify transmitters, and it is basically because there is
no product
> specification for amateur equipment, only an EMC Directive
requirement. This has
> caused a lot of upset especially with the manufacturers of broadcast
> transmitters, who were very jealous of this ability! It became
apparent late in
> the preparation of the standard ETS300-684 that this was the case.It
was
> explained by the chairman of ETSI RES09 at the time, John Kathman of
KPN in the
> Netherlands, and accepted by the Commission. It will still be safer
for
> something like a transmitter to have third party type te
switched mode power supply is involved, because of other requirements
under the