[AMPS] Caveat on Dentron Filaments + MLA-2500B Notes

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 20:09:35 -0500

?  The MLA commits one of the worst layout errors known --too much
distance between the anodes and the Tune-C

You have got to be kidding! The distance is 5 inches...barely enough
room to get all the Measures kits installed. Maybe the 2500 had problems,
but the "B" model I have is super tame and easy to operate. The layout
is no worse than a SB-220 IMHO, and has 160 meters to boot.

The other day you mentioned Alpha 77SX's using non-RF rated padding
caps...I have had several SX's and repaired several. They all use RF rated
door knob caps. The trouble is that the 5 kw output is too much for the 160m
load padders and they get hot and drift. Easily fixed by putting in larger
door knobs, or several little ones, or going to micas. The Dentron MLA-2500
uses the same RF rated door knobs as padders. @ 1500 watts, they all run cool.
Another feature added to the MLA-2500B model is thermostatically controlled
fan speed...nice touch. Also it uses a Radio Switch Co. model 78 band switch
rated @ 20 amps.

I think a lot of the initial 2500 problems could have been the stupid suggestion
in the manual to cut the swamping resistor loose if using a solid-state exciter.
My Yaesu FT-ONE drives the MLA-2500B to legal limit with the resistor in place.

Cheers, Rich....
(((73)))
Phil, K5PC