[AMPS] DC Output

Phil (VA3UX) phil@vaxxine.com
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:24:24 -0400

Good question Firson.

First, when you place a load on this power supply, the output voltage will
drop a bit so that the final AC "power" won't be 2550 x 0.5 watts, but will
be perhaps 2200 x 0.5 watts.

Second, the 0.5 amp rating of the transformer is the maximum continuous
current rating. For intermittent service (like an amateur amplifier) you
will be able to safely draw more power from the transformer as long as the
maximum temperature rise for the transformer is not exceeded.   A good
example of this is the Heath SB-220 : it has a transformer rated for 600 or
700 watts yet the amplifer produces 900 - 1300 watts across the various
amateur bands.  The Heath transformer is "overloaded", but this is
acceptable because of the low duty cycle for SSB and CW. This same
situation is found in many of the amateur amps on the market.

That's it in a nutshell.

Phil