[AMPS] Henry 2k

MChapp1060@aol.com MChapp1060@aol.com
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 15:20:23 EDT

I purchased a Henry 2K Classic X console model amp at Dayton (used but very nice condition). I got this monster home and have tuned it up a couple of times in an effort to become familiar with how it operates. I have noticed that the resting current is almost 300 mils and have ordered parts to fix what I believe is the problem there (diode packs).

Yesterday while the amp was idling unkeyed by my exciter, but in the SSB and operate mode, this thing gave off a rather sharp snap/pop. No smoke, just the noise of an arc somewhere, probably in the rf deck. I checked things out as the amp had been running just fine for several hours at idle before this.

Things looked ok, but about 5 minutes later I heard another snap/pop and the amp shut off. I found two blown fuses in the Ameritron inrush protector. I inspected the rf deck and power supply cabinet area inside and could locate no obvious arcing craters even though I think there should be something to indicate where the arc took place.

As I said, I am taking care of the high resting current problem, but wonder what other things I might be checking here. Please bear in mind that I am not expert in these matters, but can follow directions and am willing to learn a little something while undertaking this adventure. (The damn thing weighs almost 200 lbs. so becoming Henry competent is about the only option.  =-) )

Thanks very much for whatever advice is offered!!
73 de N1MC