[AMPS] RF pre amps for VLF

nospam4me@juno.com nospam4me@juno.com
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 19:16:37 -0700

: From: "Tom Tishken KD4WOV" <kd4wov@earthlink.net>
: Has anyone any experience or schematics for preamps for
: VLF around 110khz to 190khz?

Hi Tom,

Yes, send my your Mailing Address and I'll pop you off a photo copy
of a nice one.  It would be worth your while to try and find a copy of
the Low Band Experimenters Handbook by an East Coast Ham who
I believe is now an SK    :-(        Great book to have around.

: Any thoughts about simple preamps with a tunable preselector and gain
: controls?

I "lifted" one preamp design from a 1987 Motorola Loran C
Automatic Vehicle Location  "AVL" unit I often serviced.  You need
lots of gain to dig out 100KHz    GPS has pretty much killed
regular Loran C applications.

: Any thoughts about HF monoband preamps?
: Any thoughts on HF mono band preamps with a very narrow bandpass to
: eliminate blanking due to high power SW stations?

A lot of "Loafers" prefer highly directional antennas... loops and all
that
type of thing.

: In contesting has anyone used preamps with AGC?

I gotta laugh at this one... rf wise, contesters often have AGC and
compression, but the proper operation of is often in question by
others on the band.

: Last question:
: Has anyone used negative feedback with transistor amps
: for better linearity?

Yes, but you might want to be more specific...

cheers
skipp

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.