[AMPS] Tubes in Oil

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:39:26 +0000

At 09:42 PM 6/21/00 +0100, Jeff Dixon wrote:
>   Dear all  Do please excuse me if I missed something earlier  in the
>discussion but thought a timely warning might be in order. The cooling oil
>that used to be used in amps ,  transformers etc was found to be
>carcinogenic (Cancer forming) and not nice  either to handle or to have
>around the home. If I remember correctly it is harmful both by  contact and
>by inhalation of the fumes. It has been banned in the UK for about fifteen
>years or so but every so often a batch of older units comes to life still
>bathing in the stuff. There was an article about the problem in Radcom  (UK
>Journal of the RSGB) a few years ago and I will try to unearth the details
>if anyone is interested.

If I remember correctly, the issue is with large quantities of this stuff
(Polychlorinated biphenyls, I think the full term is -- PCBs in any case)
in the environment and with what happens to it through oxidation, etc.
You're in no imminent danger handling it short-term, but disposal is
tricky, and really requires hazmat handling in this country, I believe.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com