[AMPS] " Kein Rauch ohne Feuer ...."

measures 2@vc.net
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 06:27:37 -0700

¿ This translates as Smoke and Fire?

>>In a message dated 06/23/2000 11:22:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time, 2@vc.net
>>writes:
>>
>><<
>> As long as the hv ps  filter capacitors make it through the one-year
>> warranty period, all is well.
>>
>> -  Rich..., 805.386.3734, www.vcnet.com/measures.
>> end
>>  >>
>>ok rich i guess i asked for that one!   i just expect "parts" to last
>>somewhat longer, than the warrenty period.
>>                                    HANK
>>
>Treated reasonably they do this, nearly all the time. I'm sure we would have
>heard about it here if any amp brand had a tendency to fry its PSU in less
>than a few years. In truth, the reliability of raw components these days is
>excellent.
>
>Is there any history that amps with 'insufficient' decoupling suffer early
>failure purely as a result of use on the lower bands? Is there any evidence
>that rf hurts electrolytic capacitors?

 The TL-922 uses 0.01uF disc ceramic RF bypass caps across the hv ps
electrolytics.  The 110vdc ps filter capacitor has no RF bypass.  Operate
much on 160m and it will eventually go kaput with a bang.  .  The fix is
to replace the +110v ps filter C and add some C to the factory-stock.
2000pF  hv bypass.  (2000pF is only c. 44 ohms of Xc on 160m.)  In my
opinion, 10 - 20 ohms of Xc is adequate for most anode-supply bypass
applications.

later, Steve

end