SV: SV: [AMPS] " Kein Rauch ohne Feuer ...."

measures 2@vc.net
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 06:40:46 -0700

>Rich you did not understand my worries abt the switch: It is the rf current
>I am worried abt. Tiny contacts that must handle ampereres of current. Is
>there any overload capacity when mistuning?

The greatest circulating current in the tank occurs when it tuned
correctly.  When the tank is mistuned, circulating current decreases.  To
handle the c. 8a of RF current, Heath used two, paralleled 15A-rated
contacts and forced air cooling.  The result is bandswitch contacts that
run at low temperatures.  The most common danger to the 220 bandswitch is
open contact arcing, caused by intermittent osc. at 110MHz.

>The 80 meter coil in the SB 220 is really soft even if the wire can handle
>the rf current.

There is not much heating in the SB-220's 80m coil.  The air-flow
velocity is substantial.

> How many amps have been designed with weak 80 and 160 meter
>coils near metal walls just to show to the customer as much QRO as possible
>in as small as possible box? How many watts are lost in amps with low
>effiency? Would be nice if someone with an infrared camera could peep inside
> a number of amps and see where the power is lost?

Good idea.  My guess is that there is typically high tank loss on 10m.
The good news is that when 10m is open, it really doesn't matter.

>I am sure many disc capacitors are overloaded and I really am worried about
>those dic capacitors used as coupling capacitors from anode to pi or pi/L
>output networks.

€  a good design uses one RF current-rated DC blocking C.  When two caps
are paralleled for DC blocking service, they create an additional tuned
circuit that can cause problems.

> A potent danger to the outside world if the antenna isnt
>shorted from the DC point of view  or if the RFC at the output fails.

€   Arcing air variable capacitors act to limit voltage like a zener.
With the typical 3000v supply and 1000v Load C, there is no danger if a
DC blocking cap shorts.  The load Cap simply arcs to ground until the
circuit breakers in the primary of the HV transformer open.  Arcs
typically have no more than 30v across them.  I have never seen a DC
blocking capacitor short.   Pick a proper capacitor in the first place
and it should last.  .

>Guess I am spoiled having seen so many commercial Swedish Standard Radio
>ship transmitters in the past . .....

Swedish engineering is typically excellent.  My sister-in-law is from
Thailand.  She says that Volvos are popular there because they can handle
the terrible roads.

cheers, Hans