[AMPS] ssr's in qro amps

nospam4me@juno.com nospam4me@juno.com
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 10:37:05 -0700

re: ss relays in amplifier hv supplies

I've had a recent look at the new amplifier pics.

One of the units shows the use of 3 solid state relays
for control.  I've always been worried about the use of
ssr's around the combination of RF and Amplifier high
voltage DC supplies.

I do like the idea of using ssr's in HV power supplies,
but their reliable application in QRO amplifiers has
never been proven "100% safe" to me.  Hence, I use
mechanical types for the required application.

I've experienced problems with ssr's which tend to
"slightly leak" or turn themselves on, especially in the
presence of high rf fields.   I'd be curious to read
(hear) comments from builder - users of ssr's applied
to rf amplifier and related subject HV supplies here on
amps.  Have some of you sourced a reliable ssr that
functions well in amp HV supplies.?  Any special "hints
or kinks" you've run into.   I'd like to revisit ssr's in my
next box should their hv ps application be viewed as
"trustworthy."

thanks
skipp
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!