[AMPS] ssr's in qro amps

Peter Sundberg sm2cew@telia.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 06:55:12 +0200

At 09:33 PM 6/26/00 -0700, W7IUV wrote:
>Mistakes happen. Few folks knowingly grab hold of "old sparky".
>
>It is surprising to me that people can preach "Safety" and then berate me
>for going the extra mile to make my station as safe as I know how. Perhaps
>a person does not really understand high voltage safety issues until he's
>had a taste of "old sparky". I know I can make a mistake and I really want
>to minimize the consequences. 40 some odd years ago a good shock was
>"tiptoe through the tulips", these days it's more like "pushin' up daisy's".
>
>Forgive me for not being one of the friggin' infallible god-like creatures
>who inhabit this list.
>73,
>Larry - W7IUV

Larry, everything seems to be black OR white in your world. I am not
accusing you of being DAFt, nor am I a god-like creature despite the fact I
run a DAF amp.

The point me and others were trying to make was that switching the HV off
during receive will create a false feeling of safety. Everything is still
switched on and a touch of the PTT will put full HV on the amps. A better
approach is to let your mind KNOW that HV is ALWAYS switched on and safety
precautions should be taken at ALL times !

That's the SM2CEW rule these days after tasting "Old Sparky" a few times
and making friends with "Dr AC" at 220V. Keep your fingers out of the box..

/Peter SM2CEW