[AMPS] ssr's in qro amps

Peter Chadwick Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:52:45 +0100

It's interesting that back in the 'good ole days', (i.e. AM and CW only)
removing the HV from the tx when in receive was not uncommon. Some marine tx's
did not, but that was because they had to be able to not only QSK, but also run
from motor generators, which of course, had to run all the time. The idea of
switching the mains isn't new, just a technique that has largely been abandoned,
mainly I guess because of the problems of VOX, and mechanical relays.

Safety matters are a bit like IFF. In IFF, you make a decision to shoot based on
the failure to obtain a proper response. the efficiency of safety precautions
you judge by the failure to have an accident. The fact that we're here able to
discuss this suggests that our individual safety measures have proved adequate -
although occasionally, only just.

Incidentally, one mustn't lose sight of the fact that a solid state amp may not
have particularly high voltages, but high current supplies can be just as
lethal.

Hans, yes, SSR is 'solid state relay'  - if not, we've been at cross purposes.
the comments from you and Marv about failures convince me that it's not a route
that I'd want to go down - an admission of defeat from someone who works in the
semiconductor industry!

	73

	Peter G3RZP