[AMPS] Surge voltage, HV connectors.

Wilbert Knol w.knol@niwa.cri.nz
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 08:56:47 1300

Thanks for reading this message.

 I am in the process of nutting out a HV supply for an old homebrew valve
amplifier and have a couple of questions for the old hands.

1. The amp uses 2 x TB 2.5-300, which are rated at 2.5 kV.
The test bench version of the supply is a setup that uses microwave oven
transformers charging a capacitor bank. It surges to 2.8 kV (under bleeder
load only). Under 400 mA of load (the projected total plate current), the HV
drops to 2.1 kV. Can I expect problems with the 2.8 kV at the start of a
transmission or should I ignore the surge voltage?

2. The HV supply will be an external, stand-alone unit. I am having problems
locating suitably rated HV connectors. The HV connector would have to be a
two pole type, making B- before making B+, and rated at >2.8 kVDC (to
prevent the operator from being electrocuted)

The ARRL handbook mentions Millen 37001 HV connectors. Are there any
places that sell these (or other suitable connectors) mail order in small
quantities? Are the Millens any good for what I want?

Ideally I would like an HV connector with a set of extra contacts for carrying
mains to the amplifier filament transformer as well. Also I am considering an
interlock cct preventing the HV supply from being turned on unless the
amplifier is hooked up. This would safeguard against a live dangling HV
connector. This requires a a pair of HV rated contacts and 5 extra contacts

Any pointers to suitable connectors would be greatly appreciated.

Wilbert, ZL2BSJ