[AMPS] Network analysis of suppressors

measures 2@vc.net
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 08:12:50 -0700

>Hi Ian,
>
>> Tom, please explain in your view, why tube type amplifiers are fitted with
>> suppressors. And when amps with 3-500z's (for example) go band, why do
>> they go bang?
>>
>> Ian, ZS6BTE
>
>Tubes flash over because something either exceeds the normal
>breakdown voltage, or because something inside the tube lowers
>the breakdown voltage.

Ian asked about a bang.  External arcs can make a loud bang.  In a
vacuum, arcs do not bang.

>It's pretty common for 3-500Z's to gas up a little and flash over. The
>gas comes either from internal material outgassing or seal leakage.
>
>The arc itself can getter the tube, and remove the gas. As a matter
>of fact controlled arcs can be used to getter certain tubes in
>manufacturing.
>
>The 3-500Z normally getters itself when the anode reaches
>temperatures that show some color. In order to completely getter,
>some 3-500 anode designs have to be heated to a red color.

Heating a graphite-snode 3-500Z/8008 to a red color apparently increases
the amount of  leakage current in the tube.

>There is nothing sinister about an arc.

Especially an arc which leaves no mark.

>What amazes me is how people conclude a tube will arc from
>some momentary parasitic that occurs one every year,

Owners of amplifiers who report arcs, often report they heard a big bang.
   An arc inside the tube can not make this sound. As far as I know, Tom
Rauch is the principal person who concluded that the tube itself arced.

> but the very
>same tube WON'T arc from 8 kV of peak RF voltage at the signal
>frequency.
>
>What is particularly amazing is the anode impedance and Q of the
>circuit is many times lower at VHF than at the operating frequency,
>and yet some people actually seem to believe more voltage is
>developed at VHF than at the fundamental frequency!

If the Tune-C had no resonances, this would be quite true.  In the real
world, Tune-Cs have resonances.  What is the first resonance of the
Tune-C in the AL-80, Tom?
thanks

>This whole parasitic thing is pretty odd, from a technical standpoint.

A large amen to that.  If you have not read it, and you are intersted, I
can snailmail you a copy of G. W. Fyler's article on parasitic
oscillation in the 1935 Journal of the Institute of Radio Engineers.

cheers, Tom