[AMPS] 2nd harmonic pumped parasitic

Ian Roberts itr@nanoteq.co.za
Fri, 03 Mar 2000 09:06:06 +0200

John, this is a quality reply to my question about the effect (with the
specific reference to harmonics from ham rigs) of harmonics causing
oscillation in PAs.
The powers that be pooh-poohed this possibility.

My experience with signal amplifiers, particularly X-band GaAsFETS and
similar devices, is completely in parallel with what you have outlined
below. One can make up a circuit, and under test conditions with the
correct loads, they look good, but connect them to the real world,
simply an antenna, and they take off.
Not only that, they appear to achieve an output power in excess of what
one would expect from the gain available.
But PA tubes do not have much more than about 11 dB of gain, which is a
bit low for real oscillatory tendencies to manifest, therefore the
layout in the PA has to be poor for the mechanism to show up. Most ham
PAs are pretty bad, particularly the old green monsters.

Sure ways to control oscillation is by resistive loading of the output
circuit (at the expense of gain and heating in the loss), deliberate
mistuning of the input and/or output circuits to reduce gain, and by
careful bypassing.
implement), seems to be the mode in ham PAs, but even carbon resistors
in series look like lumped constants at VHF. A piece of "lossy" wire has
few lumped constants, other than it's intrinsic inductance and coupling
to the capacitance of it's surroundings.
Any lossy wire will work as a suppressor, methinks, even a piece of blue
fence wire.

What intrigues me, is that certain amps appear to work for a while, even
in hygienic surroundings, then suddenly say "good bye", apparently
without good reason.
But your reference to the effect of reactance on oscillation might be
the clue, especially when one reads reports about deteriorating
connectors and water running onto Joe's feet down the coax...

Cheers,
Ian ZS6BTE