[AMPS] Heavy Iron: 10-4 Good Buddy

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 07:18:30 -0500

> Show me where in my post I stated that the INTENT was to run "illegal"
> power? The INTENT was to run four 3-500Zs since I happen to have many
> spares on hand in AM service with much overhead to spare. Four 3-500Zs at
> 1500 watts out peak envelope power is only 375 watts per tube.  Carrier
> power is 375 watts which is less than 100 watts per tube continous. All
> this adds up to an economical amp that will last a lifetime due to the
> conservative design.

3-500Z's have the gettering agent coated on the anode, and it is
activated by heat. Gettering requires a slightly red glow or brighter
on the anode.

RCA used a 4-400 in a driver of a BC transmitter, and they had
constant gassing failures. They had to change to a 4-125 to get
rated life.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com