[AMPS] Network analysis of suppressors

measures 2@vc.net
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 13:41:19 -0700

>Jon wrote:
>
>> > .  Unless you specifically know what
>> >their state was prior to the "bang" then you cannot comment on what
>> >caused their state after the "bang."
>> >
>> >The resistors could have been bad already from heating effects, age, etc.
>
>Rich replied:
>
>> Surely, Jon.  10m FM and RTTY often leave bubbles on the surface of
>> R-supp, however, with VHF parasite damage, the surface typically looks
>> shiny new and the resistance may increase 3x to 4x.  > later, Jon
>
>Please Rich, enlighten me on how the shiny surface means it was
>a parasitic, and the bubbled surface means it was HF heating.

I did not say that a shiny surface means it was a parasitic oscillation.
 A shiny surface indicates that the outside of the resistor did not get
hot.  A bubbled surface indicates that the outside of the resistor was
hot for an extended period.   A >3x increase in R indicates that the
insides were severely damaged   Add a shiny case, and the >3x change
suggest that the change probably happened quickly. .  .
  My guess is that big bang oscillations last perhaps a few milliseconds

>I'm sure you have a good explanation for that one!
>'
cheers,  Tom