[AMPS] Network analysis of suppressors

measures 2@vc.net
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 06:59:54 -0700

>Hi Rich,
>
>> >You say a sharp pulse of VHF current heats the resistor from the
>> >inside out,
>
>You replied:
>> This is my guess as to what took place.
>
>Nice guess. But I've never seen reverse skin effect

€  say what?  Does this have anything to do with your revelation that the
resistance of nichrome actually increases as freq. decreases?

>and the thermal
>conductivity can not be ignored.

€  Phenolic is not a good thermal conductor.  .

>> >while a longer HF current heats the resistor and
>> >severely damages the outside.
>> >
>> The outside is not severely damaged because it is still intact and doing
>> its job of supporting the wire leads and carbon element.
>
>I don't follow that logic. What causes it to not be damaged?

€  The resistor is found to be intact and the resistance is still in the
ballpark.  Bubbles in the phenolic indicate that the case has been hot.

>> >That seems to disagree with what you say about other conductors.
>> >
>> >For example you claim gold coatings on grids can only be
>> >damaged by VHF parasitics, and not by dc or lower frequency
>> >currents.
>>
>> Correct.  Boiling gold requires  a higher temperature than is needed to
>> melt iron.  For example, to increase the temperature of the entire >50g.
>> grid in an 8877 to the boiling point of gold would require an amount of
>> energy that is far beyond the capability of the typical anode supply.
>
>Let me see if I understand you.
>
>1.) The anode supply in an amplifier has enough energy to heat a
>large anode with airflow to the point of damage.
>
>2.) The anode supply does not have enough available energy to
>heat a grid.

€  How much temperature does it take to boil gold?.  Are you aware of
Stephen's Law?

>Following that logic, people are wasting time watching screen
>current in a tetrode amplifier, because the screen supply could
>never overheat the screen grid.

€  In my tetrode amplifiers, the screen supply could never overheat the
screen grid because the primary of the screen supply is fused
accordingly.  Watching screen current is hardly a waste of time because
this is how one tunes/loads a tetrode amplifier.

>> However, thanks to skin-effect, the energy available from the anode supply
>> is able to remove thin layers of gold.
>
>The gold is bonded to the grid. There is thermal conductivity at play.

€  I know it seems hard to believe, but I have seen many examples of gold
sputtering through my microscope.  I agree with the 8877 design team.  ,

>Have you ever calculated the heating of the grid by I^2 R losses in
>the conductor?

€    How would you measure R ?

>You claim above heating is primarily due to I^2 R  losses, yet that
>is absolutely incorrect.

€  I agree completely.

>That is not the dominant mechanism that
>heats anodes and grids at all, it isn't even a factor worth
>considering.

[chortle]

>> ing to Eimac's Mr. Willis B.
>> Foote, during the development of the 8877, the design team discovered that
>> grids could be gold-sputtered in thin layers by an "oscillation
>> condition".
>
>Please tell me where I can see that claim first hand.

€  Foote's letter is on my Web site.  Some of the details came from my
conversation with Mr. Foote.

>> RF travels on the surface of conductors.  Gold is a conductor.  The
>> phenolic case of a carbon-comp resistor is not a conductor.
>
>You and I were talking about the inside and outside of the element,
>not the case.

€  "inside and outside"?  The carbon comp element is a homogenous
arrangement with wire leads at the ends.

>> >How can the resistor get that hot
>> >inside when the saturated anode current is only about ten
>> >amperes,
>>
>>  P = I^2 x R, and I = 9 or 10 amperes, P could be 81 or so  x 50 to 100
>> (ohms)  watts.  Approx. 4kW is seeming quite a bit for a 2w-rated
>> resistor.
>
>You ignored duty cycle above.

€  Rich does not know it.  Tom does not know it.

>> > the duty cycle is in nanoseconds,
>>
>> This is not known.
>
>You say it is. You say the parasitic is so "intermittent" it doesn't
>even show up on the meters.

[chortle]

>Which is it? Is the parasitic a long sustained oscillation that can
>heat the resistor, or is it a sudden momentary burst?

€  Push-pull parasitics are pretty much steady-state events that make
much heat but disappear as soon as the amplifier is unkeyed.  Push-pull
parasites tend to be stentorian.

>>> This almost sounds like your theory that photons arriving from outer
>> >space can make amplifiers on standby explode because the photons hit the
>> >amplifier so hard they make the standby relay arc, and the arcing relay
>> >starts a parasitic in what is an otherwise stable amplifier that is just
>> >sitting there on standby!
>>
>> Borrow a geiger counter, Mr. Rauch, and tune in on what's happening on the
>> upper frequencies.  Be not surprised if you occasionally encounter some
>> humungous signals.
>
>The detector in a geiger counter is specifically designed to respond
>to photons (it uses pressurized gas) when exposed to radiation.
>Even when exposed to high levels of background radiation current
>is in picoamperes.
>
>You are proposing that a high vacuum tubes respond with many
>amperes of current.
>
>If that is the case geiger counters would work better with 3-500Z
>detectors than with gas-filled geiger-muller tubes.

€  grasping at straws

>Please explain the apparent discrepancy between your theory and
>how things really work.

[guffaw]

later, Tom