[AMPS] Re: Poor science

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 13:23:34 -0500

Hi Terry,

Most people have names. If you are addressing me, use my name
and I will answer.

I wouldn't call you Mr. Sucker, and in return I don't expect to be
called Mr. Denial.

> I really question why I am wasting my time with this ... I hope this will
> be of interst to some ... I am sure Mr. Denial will will just consider it
> nonsence as he has with most all of Rich's claims ... But this is from the
> real world of what actually happens ....
>
> The amplifier was in STANDBY ..... NOT KEYED .... but with all voltages ON
> ! I had a reason to remove the top cover (high voltage interlock removed),
> I slowly raised the cover from the front of the amplifier leaving the rear
> of the cover sitting on the amplifier ... when I got the front of the
> cover raised about 3 inches ... all of a sudden the amp made this huge big
> grunt and the circuit breaker tripped off. After I removed the top cover
> and turned the amp back on I had idling plate current in the standby mode.
> Long story short ... I had one of the two 3-500Z's with a grid to filament
> short and that tube had metal particles rolling around inside of it. Ten
> minutes earlier this amp was putting out 1300 watts on 20 meters. NOT
> knowing what had happened I replaced the bad tube and tried again. Guess
> what ... with the cover about 3 inches raised ... yes ... I lost another
> 3-500Z ! This was a damn expensive way of being introduced to the type of
> oscillation that Mr. Denial says can't happen !

The theory you are supporting is Rich's claim that a photon can
strike the cathode of a tube that is on standby, and cause enough
current flow to arc over the relay contacts and put the amplifier in
an operating mode.

Once in the operating mode from the wayward photon, the amplifier
that was OK for weeks or moths before (with the very same relay
closed and opened hundreds of times) now suddenly has a
parasitic and draws so much current it actually explodes the
elements inside the tube.

I'd like to ask a few questions:

1.) What type of amplifier was it.

2.) What type of tubes.

3.) Why don't the photons generated in normal operation cause the
same problem?

4.) Why don't photons in gas-filled tubes specifically designed to
detect photons have even modest amounts of current?

5.) Why do hundreds of other amplifiers without covers not fail?

6.) Since the saturated current of a 3-500Z is about 10 amperes or
so (that's all the filament can "give up", even if you hold the anode
and grid at 3000 volts positive), how does the oscillation cause
enough current to shatter the filament or grid?

7.) If the tube could supply that much current, how does it get that
current so fast through the high surge impedance of the path from
the energy storage area (power supply) into the tube?

If you have no explanation other than blind faith, then I can accept
that and respect it. I never argue religion.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com