[AMPS] Can't get rid of the boom,boom,boom...

Jerry K9GD m2270501@mail.9netave.com
Sun, 05 Mar 2000 11:11:52 -0600

Gents:

Having watched the fur fly for several months on the subject of parasitics
and the like....it reminded me of an old tune.."You can't get rid of the
boom, boom, boom...no matter what ya do."  Or can you?

I have a TL-922, one day it went boom when I was using it.  The band switch
vaporized...yes vaporized.  People told me I must have done it due to poor
op practices.  So, $80 bux later..I installed the new band switch.

About 2 months later, boom....a tube shorted and blew several diodes and
other parts.   Puzzled, I spent several hundred dollars for new bottles and
did all the "measures" mods including installng the vacuum relay mod.

The amp purred like a kitten cept some internal arcing on one of the PS
caps.  Like a LID, I ran the amp several months on the side hoping to find
the arcing (originally thought it was a "seeable" arc.)  Well, you figured
it out, I sagged one of the tubes and took out a couple of 10 cent parts and
the tube.

That mistake was mine.

But the point is, what ever the boom,boom, boom was..it hasn't returned.
Many can postulate as to what I was doing wrong or what stars were in line
with what planets..but as far as I can see, the mods that I did took care of
the problems I originally experienced.  The best $20 bux I ever spend.

If anyone has experienced similar probs with their TL-922 and have spent in
excess of $400 bux in parts....try spending the 20buxs and try the
"measures" mods.  If you don't want to buy the parts from him, go elsewhere
and try it.  I would be interested in your results.

Best Regards,

Jerry K9GD

"A world without string is chaos."
                      -R.Smutz-