[AMPS] Misc. Oscillations

Mike Sawyer kc4slk@csrlink.net
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 18:39:10 -0500

Sorry Joe,
    I can't buy this one:

If you were a commercial amplifier manufacturer, with considerably more
to lose than a bit of wire an a few resistors, what would you do ...
build an amplifier that might require the user to replace tubes a
couple times in 20 years of amateur operation or potentially cost the
user his life and subject the company to a multi-million dollar
wrongful death/product liability lawsuit?

5% over voltage on a tube drastically reduces its life. That's not Measure's
word, look at any RCA tube manual written from about 1938 on. High voltage
doesn't have to be enabled to adjust filament voltage. The voltage could be
taken from small probe pick-up on the side or rear. The user could utilize
his own DMM. No extra meter would be necessary. If I had an amp that used an
8877, I would squeeze every last watt out that I could before having to
replace it. Most people woud too, and given the oportunity, would adjust the
filament voltage if it were made available
It sure would have been nice to have one my RCA amp since I beat my head
against the wall and found LOW filament voltage the cause of reduction in
power by half, (2 X 3-400Z's with filaments at 3.48VAC), and that was by
accident.
Sorry Joe, but you are using a sieve to carry water.
Mike(y)
W3SLK