[AMPS] Network analysis of suppressors

measures 2@vc.net
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 20:21:35 -0700

>> As I said before, for this kind of radiation event to be
>> significant in a high power vacuum tube, the number free electrons
>> created by the radiation event would have to be on the same ordern
>> as the number of electrons created by thermionic
>> emission. If one could still make a case for this sort of
>> thing (I think that this is unlikely), the hypothesis could be
>> tested by exposing the amplifier in question to the appropriate
>> radioactive source while simultaneously monitoring anode current.
>>

>> Just my $.02
>>
>> Mike, W4EF..........
>
>But Mike, now that everyone has changed the bad parts and added
>nichrome the problems went away.

Not a good wager.

>Despite the fact that the change in VHF Q is very minor, and
>Measures original suppressors actually have higher Q when in
>circuit than many conventional suppressors!

€  Not according to N7WS' measurements.  Nichrome has over 50x the
resistance of copper.  Add R and ''actually have higher Q''?  Behold, the
world according to Tom.

>It'll take a long time before people eventually figure out when you
>replace all the bad parts you usually fix the problem, because the
>problem is virtually never a parasitic anyway.

€ People have replaced crispied-crittered bandswitches in AL-80s, AL-82s,
TL-922s, on and on, only to find that the new bandswitch also
occasionally arcs.

later, Tom.