[AMPS] Re: Re: Mission Impossible

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 09:08:19 -0500

> publication No. 50, ISBN 0 903 748 45 2. A 100dB SFDR requires at least a
>   -134dBc/Hz phase noise performance to be useful. It also needs that in
> the transmitter, too!
>
> 73
>
> Peter G3RZP

It's even a problem on CW, where linearity doesn't matter.

There are a few FT-1000MP's on 160 meters that have synthesizer
noise that extends out several kHz on CW. Some seem OK, some
do not. W8LRL cured his problem by abandoning use of his MP.
His phase noise dropped from S9 at my house (600 miles from
Wal) to nothing at all when he changed rigs.

1000MP's also have a bit of a crackle extending out several kHz on
SSB.

The only saving grace is it bothers the rig on receive just as much,
if the incoming signal is strong.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com