[AMPS] differences in 4-1000 sockets

Steve Bookout nj4f@erols.com
Tue, 07 Mar 2000 09:50:24 -0500

Hello all,

I have seen where using the cast air system socket for a grid driven 4-1000
was a 'no-no', because it made for an unstable amp.

I have one of each type of socket and would really prefer to use the cast
alum one.

So, what is the problem with this socket?  Or, is it just not as forgiving
to sloppy layouts?

It appears to be a short, straight shot from the pins (studs) to the #10
screws on the bottom (which hold on the insulating center disk) allowing
for direct mounting of by-pass caps.

The physical properties of this socket make it advantageous for me to use.
I can mount the silver plated fuse clip which holds one end of the grid
termination R, directly to the grid pin.  The hole in the fuse clip bottom
fits directly over the terminal stud for the grid.  No lead length and
mechanically stable.

Any clues on what the 'curse' of this socket may be would be appreciated
and no doubt, enlightening.

73 de Steve, NR4M
Steve Bookout, NR4M (ex NJ4F)
Rapidan Data Systems

'DX4WIN...The way logging programs should be!'
Free demo at http://www.dx4win.com