[AMPS] Power Handling of Resistors

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Tue, 07 Mar 2000 11:29:32 -0600

on 3/7/00 09:18, Wt8r@aol.com at Wt8r@aol.com wrote:

> This is the point where ignorance overtakes (overshadows) common sense.  (1)
> Apparently Jon hasn't the slightest idea of the magnitudes of difference
> between the amount of energy stored in the power supply of a multi-kilowatt
> power supply hooked to 220 VAC mains and a toy desk top 160 watt amp.

Blah! Blah! Blah!

OK, You are right.  I am just an ingorant son of a bitch who doesn't know
anything.  Forigve me oh great one.  I thought that a 160 Watt amp and a
multi-kilowatt amp put out about the same power.

Of course I know the difference.  Cripe, do you think I was born yesterday?
Why don't YOU use some common sense instead of spewing stuff when you have
no idea of the person you are talking about.

> (2)  Neither does he have any concept of the DIFFERENCE  in the application
> of that small amount of power for 500ms, the length of which is controlled by
> the pushing of a microphone button, as opposed to the UNCONTROLLED avalanch
> of the dumping of ca. several joules of energy in a very short time which
> usually ends in the catatrsopic destruction of a bandswitch or other tank
> component.

Catastrophic destruction is one thing.  If you would LISTEN to the
discussion it was about resistors which "look" fine on the outside but are
damaged by a nearly instantenous burst of energy according to Rich.  If
sufficient energy hit the resistors, yes, it would DESTROY them
catastrophically.  But they resistors don't blow up nor do they "look"
physically damaged.

My contention is that for a very short period of time, the resistors can
handle FAR more power than what their AVERAGE power rating is for.  If
enough power hits the resistors in a spike to destroy them, it will do just
that - DESTROY them as Peter Chadwick suggests.  But is the typical PA
supply, particularly a commercially made amateur supply capable of supplying
that much power?

I doubt it.

Jon
Not in Dayton

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na