SV: [AMPS] Stability of Carbon Resistors

sm5ki sm5ki@algonet.se
Tue, 07 Mar 2000 23:41:44 +0000

Here a true story from 1957 when I was repairing the receiver of a Brittish
PYE AM main station in the taxi system of the Swedish town Nynaeshamn. They
complain was, that they no longer could  hear taxis outside the town. Indeed
the measured sensitivity was only some 10 mV or so! Abt 10 composition type
resistors, made by ERIE, had drifted away to some strange value after only
2-3 years of usage!!!

After restoring the original values of resistors with another brand, the
sensitivity went back to the original uV value and normal range was
restored. These white ERIE resitors were used in many Brittish made
electronics and I wonder what problems showed up in other units?

We also remember the very hygroscopic German WIMA condensers that made hell
in many television receivers - but that is another story.

de Hans