[AMPS] Stability of Carbon Resistors

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Tue, 07 Mar 2000 18:34:25 -0600

on 3/7/00 3:38 PM, Colin Lamb at k7fm@teleport.com wrote:

> This evaluation would apply to carbon resistors used in parasitic suppressors.
> If the carbon resistor will become hot - for any reason - it will change value
> and ultimately will fail.

One of my points EXACTLY!!!  And it will do it without showing signs of
external damage.

The carbon resistors will change in value due to the heating effects not
parasitics.  And in a power amplifier with circulating currents
(particularly on 10 meters where they are high since the output capacitance
of the tube becomes a significant part of the tank circuit) you WILL get
heating of the resistors.

73,

Jon
KE9NA