[AMPS] Suppressor measurements

Fred Fliss fredffff@hotmail.com
Wed, 08 Mar 2000 01:35:46 EST

It seems there is a paucity of data relating to comparitive suppressors.  I
am in a position to have access (limited) to several versions of RLC
measurement instrumentation.  Given time ( a month or so ) I could arrange
to have measurements made of suppressors for comparison purposes ( I would
have to provide a certain person his six-pack requirements for a month ) and
even get a report.  I would be willing to do so once for this reflector,
given that it's rather more than a tad of inconvenience.  I tend to travel
rather a lot, so if there is a lad elsewhere who'd want to collect the
suppressors, then supply them to me at an agreed-upon date (via parcel post,
I presume), I would have them measured, then report.  Given my understanding
of the nature of such measurements, I would report the series equivalent
impedance (R +jX) the parallel equivalent impedance (G + jB), or perhaps
only one of the above, as phase angle dictates.

I would think it to be a splendid additional measurement to have someone
with a vector impedance meter do measurements of the actual input impedance
of the tuning network of various "famous" amplifiers versus frequency,
bandswitch settings, and so on, so that we can all correlate suppressor
performance with ultimate performance.  I, for one, would pooh-pooh any
supposed benefits of a high-Q suppressor, if that Q was achieved at a
frequency where the output network of my "famous-maker" amplifier happened
to have a parallel resonance (shall we say, Z=10kohms + j5 ?)  I beleive we
can all agree that standard LaPlacian analysis has merit and fits our
network analysis standard, yes?

I shall await a reply.  Let us say that on May 1, I shall submit up to ten
(10) suppressors to my test facility.  Perhaps somebody else would like to
keep a tally of which amplifiers will be made availalbe at one time at
another test facility for S21 evaluation of the output networks (some large
populous - NYC?  Philadelphia?  Atlanta?  Los Angeles?)

Cheerio,

Fred