[AMPS] Amp Stability

Roger D. Johnson n1rj@pivot.net
Wed, 08 Mar 2000 07:33:58 -0500

 After following the reflector posts for awhile, I should like
comments on the following:

 1. The common practice of bringing together the input and
    output of an amplifier together to a single TR relay.
    Is there enough stray coupling to adversly affect amp
    stability?

 2. The effect of a non-synchronized TR relay. Many exciters
    deliver RF output before the old style clapper relay closes.
    Having this relay close with drive applied, coupled with
    contact bounce, I think could induce all kinds of bad
    behavior.

 Many years ago, I watched the input and output of my L-7 on a
dual trace scope as I keyed the TS-940. It was not a pretty sight.
I installed a version of Rich's QSK and the amp has been
unconditionally stable ever since. In the meantime, I've had
a parade of unmodified TL-922's come through with various blown
components.

73, Roger