[AMPS] VHF visitation (was power handling...)

measures 2@vc.net
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 07:58:46 -0700

>Hi Peter,
>
>> According to Gossling's paper, 'tree like markings' appear, but they can
>> be quite small. He goes on:'If the discharge current passes through two
>> limbs of a filament placed side by side, these are often pulled together
>> by the magnetic attraction of the parallel currents, causing a short
>> circuit and spoiling the valve', which sounds  very much like the filament
>> heix bending you've observed, Rich.
>

>The symptoms of internal arcing, which is a common event,

Says Mr. Rauch.  I have never round an arc mark on the interior of the
anode during an autopsy.  .

>fit exactly on what is blamed on some parasitic events.

It is exactly the big-bang event that is said to be parasite-related.
You are still trying to ignore the pesky fact that arcs in a vacuum are
quite quiet.

>Not only that, if it was an arc it the system wouldn't violate well
>understood physics

 (SOP)

>. It easily explains how and why elements in
>the tube can be damaged without everyone having to pretend that
>emission limitations don't exist.
>
>The explanation that doesn't have to violate the rules that govern
>behavior of a system is the only possible answer.

Is the emission rule you supplied for max. sustainable peaks?

later,  Tom

BTW.  This morning, I got an e-mail from an AL-1500 owner who said that
the hv bypass cap is a single 1000pF unit.  Do you feel that 88-ohms of
Xc is enough of a bypass on 160m?
.

end