[AMPS] Static discharge caused arcs

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 10:20:15 -0500

> There may be a difference between the tv set, vcr and other devices.  If
> the static discharge has the "appearance" of rf, then, after arriving at
> the coax connector, it will immediately go through a voltage step up in
> the pi-network.  If the impedance transformation of the pi-network is 2500
> ohms to 50 ohms, then a voltage step up occurs.  Tough to do this stuff
> mentally, but I think this is a voltage step up of 8:1.
>
> Not saying this happens - but it might - even without the power to blow
> relays off the chassis (direct hit).

We would have to look at energy in a narrow window of bandwidth. I
doubt that it would be high enough to cause damage by itself
without damaging other things outside the tank, but it certainly
could trigger an arc that is sustained by normal energy transfer
processes in an operating PA.

I think the most likely "arc starter" without some for of external
damage to other components or devices would be an elevation of
the entire dc voltage (at any one instant of time) of the tank,
because normal RF would be superimposed on that voltage. The
peak voltage could easily cause an arc in components that would
be sustained by normal energy transfer in the PA.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com