[AMPS] exciter to amp coax length

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 12:59:53 -0500

> My tube and solid state amp has *input* adjustments for all bands. I
> suppose these adjustments are designed to compensate for these
> mismatches?

That's probably true.

Once a load (in this case the amplifier) is adjusted for a 1:1 SWR,
the length of the line between the amplifier and exciter won't matter
at all.

The only possible exception is instability someplace around the
operating frequency or below the cut-off frequencies of the input
network in the amplifier, where the amplifier depends on the source
impedance to terminate the input of the PA.

Only the load and line impedance to the load sets the SWR, you
can never create SWR at the source end, unless the source
generates strong harmonics.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com