[AMPS] Chokes

measures 2@vc.net
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 11:19:04 -0700

>>The highest L  choke that has no resonances below 30MHz is c. 65uH.
>
>A data point for the choke discussion:
>
>   An article by Bill Deane in "73 Magazine", September 1969, p. 147
>describes a 90 uH choke with a (first) resonance at 43 Mhz.

  With an air core, a 90uH choke resonates in the neighborhood of 20MHz.
Ferrite cores have a well-deserved reputation for saturating in actual
use.  .

>   The cogent details, to save everyone a trip to the library, are sixty
>turns of #20 wire, space wound 4" long on a 3/4" diameter form with a 3"
>x .33" ferrite rod mounted in the center of the form.

The Collins antenna tuner used in the B-52 had a roller coil with a
ferrite core at one end of the coil.  .   The core only came into play at
low frequencies.  I have never heard of a ferrite core being successfully
used in a hv rfc.

later,  Marv

end