[AMPS] Receiver performance

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 23:24:07 -0600

on 3/13/00 10:22 AM, Tom Rauch at w8ji@contesting.com wrote:

> At present price levels, it is impossible to get a quality low-noise
> high dynamic range A/D converter that is fast enough to do any
> good processing for anywhere near the price of a good crystal filter.

Agreed.

The FT-847 is a nice rig for what you pay for.  However, its DSP certainly
introduces digital noise that you don't get with real filters.

And seeing as how those numbers that were posted show the FT-847 and the
FT-1000D having the same performance it's no wonder that everybody is asking
if the FT-847 is really as good as the FT-1000D!  I talked to some Yaesu
guys at a local hamfest and they said that was the most often asked
question.  No wonder!

Give me a good crystal filter over a DSP any day.  It's funny, before I
bought the 1000D, I used my Timewave DSP-599zx all the time.  Now I rarely
use it!

73,

Jon
KE9NA